5 End of the Year Tax Tips for Newly Married Couples (411 × 600 px)

5 End of the Year Tax Tips for Newly Married Couples

Read the Article

As a personal finance writer, we’re always focused on the dollars and cents of life so it’s nice to be reminded of what we’re working towards (especially when it’s an event like a wedding)! Sadly, once the cake and champagne have been consumed and the DJ shuts off the music, we have to be transported back from this magical place and back to reality.

With that reality comes taxes and challenges that a newly married couple must face. Once the honeymoon is over, it’s time to start getting serious about your finances as a couple, which includes getting your tax situation in order. Remember that your marital status is determined by your status on December 31. That means if you marry on December 31, you are considered married for the whole tax year.

As the year draws to a close, and as you consider your new married filing jointly status, here are five tips to keep in mind:

  • Change Your Name With the Social Security Administration: Changing your name on your Social Security Card is step one. You’ll want the name the Social Security Administration has to match the name on your tax return, and if you have changed your name as a result of the marriage, you need to make sure that is reflected with all of the proper agencies. You need to fill out and file a Form SS-5 with your local Social Security Administration office. You’ll receive a new card, but your Social Security number will remain the same. If you didn’t change your name as a result of the marriage, there is no need to file with the Social Security Administration.You’ll want to change your name at the SSA before you try to change it on your driver’s license or any other documents. It can save you a lot of time because the SSA document can be used as proof for the license, which is then used as proof for everything else (utility bills, banks, credit cards).
  • Double Check Your Tax Withholding: Now that you have a new tax status, it’s important to review your tax withholding. Does your new status make you eligible for more tax deductions or does your combined income with your spouse put you in a higher tax bracket? If so, you might need to change your withholding allowances. TurboTax has a great W-4 calculator that makes it easy to see how many withholding allowances you should take to boost your tax refund — or your take-home pay.
  • Double Check Your Filing Status: In most cases, most married couples see a tax benefit when they file as married filing jointly. However, depending on your individual tax situation this year, it might make sense to see which filing status (married filing jointly or married filing separately) gives you the biggest tax refund. You can use TurboTax TaxCaster for free to check both scenarios.
  • Look at ALL Your Possible Tax Breaks: If you file jointly, your spouse’s tax breaks are yours as well. Make sure that you review your tax breaks from the past year. If you just got married, you might be able to take advantage of your spouse’s generous charitable donations to help lower your bill. Consider investment losses, dependent care credits, education credits, mortgage interest, and other tax breaks. Go back through the finances for both of you and identify your joint tax breaks – and see if you have time to rack up a couple more tax breaks before the end of the year.
  • Make Some Money Saving Tax Moves Together: Now that you are a married couple, there are a few smart money moves you can make together by December 31 to further boost your tax refund. If joining your lives has caused you to outgrow some of your closets already, you can donate your clothes and get a tax deduction. You both may also be able to maximize your 401Ks, lowering your taxable incomes and boosting your first tax refund together.

Don’t worry about knowing these tax laws. Meet with a TurboTax Full Service expert who can prepare, sign and file your taxes, so you can be 100% confident your taxes are done right. Start TurboTax Live Full Service today, in English or Spanish, and get your taxes done and off your mind.

These are just a few of the tax tips I’d give my newly married friends. Getting married soon? What things are you looking forward to most?

12 responses to “5 End of the Year Tax Tips for Newly Married Couples”

  1. My wife and I have filed jointly for several years using TurboTax but this year she changed her name and notified SSA. Is the data contained in our previously saved returns carried forward when we file for 2022 using her new name?

    • Hi John,
      Yes whatever information you input into your previous years tax return will be carried forward to your new taxes when you file. You will have the opportunity to and should update your information when you file so it matches the correct name change that the SSA has on file.

  2. We were told, if newly married this year we can still file single or head of house hold, however, once we file “married” we have to always file married. Is this true or false?
    Nevada residents.

  3. you should considering updating this about Same-Sex couples. Since we are now recognized federally, we can file together…..

  4. We were married last year and are filing jointly. For state tax refund data, should we combine ours into one or list them out separately?

  5. I’m engaged and planning to get married December 12 2014, my question is; when I file for income taxes in february will I have to file jointly or can I file separately?

  6. Hi Lisa – In the event your spouse has yet to file the change with the SSA (but did change their drivers license and other bills), do we still have the opportunity to file separately under the spouse’s maiden name?

  7. My wife and I got married before December 31st (October) however we didn’t notify the SSA till yesterday (February 27th). Do you think we are recognized as being married even though we didn’t notify them before the 31st?

    • Hi Jarius,
      The SSA will go by your marriage certificate which they probably requested when your wife changed her name on file. Since you notified them yesterday it may take the IRS time to update their records. For tax purposes your wife’s name on your tax return has to match what the SSA has on record.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  8. Please do change your #5.
    I come to Turbotax to find accurate information and you are not providing it in this blog post. Please do issue an ‘Update’.

    Currently same-sex couples are just like any other couples and we CAN file jointly!!

Leave a Reply