• Blog
  • News
  • TurboTax is Open and Accepting Tax Returns Now!

TurboTax is Open and Accepting Tax Returns Now!

Read the Article

It’s that time of the year again – tax time! There is no denying that feeling when you see the size of your tax refund (which was over $3,000 on average last year).

To help you get ready for the tax season, we have some good news — TurboTax is officially open and accepting e-filed returns. That means that you can file now and be first in line for your tax refund. Although the IRS has not yet begun accepting e-filed tax returns, TurboTax will securely hold your completed taxes, transmit them to the IRS, and state when they open for e-file.

If you need some extra motivation, here are 5 quick tips to help you get a jump-start on your tax refund:

1. Gather Your Documents in One Place

Gather your documents, forms, and receipts reporting income and tax-deductible expenses in one place so you don’t forget anything come filing time. If you are self-employed, be on the lookout for Form 1099-NEC  and other forms that report income. You will need to have your forms and receipts for deductible expenses in front of you when you file as well. 

Pro tip: Keep a folder next to where your mail comes in so that when W-2s, 1099s, and other relevant forms start to roll in, you can keep them together in an easily accessible spot. Also, always have a copy of your prior year’s tax return in case you need to access your prior year’s adjusted gross income when you file.  If you are a returning TurboTax customer your adjusted gross income will automatically transfer to current taxes you are filing. Try our free Tax Document Checklist, which will help you understand what you need to gather and easily organize your documents based on your personal situation.

2. Remember What You Did Last Year

It’s not hard to remember big things like getting married or having a baby, but our lives are busy and some little expenses can add up to big tax deductions! Don’t forget to have receipts in hand for expenses like charitable donations and medical expenses when you sit down to file your taxes — these additional expenses may help you get a bigger tax refund.

3. Get Your Taxes Done

With TurboTax, it’s easy to get  your taxes done. No matter what your situation or how you want to file, TurboTax has you covered. With TurboTax you can do your taxes yourself, get help from an expert along the way or hand them off to a dedicated tax expert who you can meet with virtually or locally in person  to get them done from start to finish.  

4. Check Out Your Free Filing Options

If you have a simple tax return only with limited credits and without having to attach additional forms or schedules, you may be able to file your federal and state taxes for free with TurboTax Free Edition. Roughly 37% of tax filers are eligible.

Yep, you read that right! If you have a Form 1040 with limited credits and without having to attach additional forms or schedules, you may be able to file your federal and state taxes for free.

If you have a *simple tax return only with limited credits and without having to attach additional forms or schedules, from November 30, 2023 through March 31, 2024, you can get live expert help along the way and have your tax return reviewed by a tax expert before you file for free with the TurboTax Live Assisted Basic Offer

TurboTax Free Edition and TurboTax Live Assisted Basic, are designed for tax filers with simple tax returns only with limited credits and without having to attach additional forms or schedules, filing Form 1040 only. Simple returns covered include W-2 income, limited interest and dividend income that don’t require filing a schedule B, standard deduction, Earned Income Tax Credit, and Child Tax Credit, and Student Loan interest.

5. Don’t Wait to File

Last year, the average direct deposit tax refund was more than $3,000, so there is no reason to wait to file your taxes. Additionally, it’s worth noting that e-file with direct deposit is the fastest way to get your federal tax refund — the IRS states that nine out of 10 taxpayers who e-file with direct deposit will receive their federal tax refund within 21 days or less.

No matter what moves you made last year, TurboTax will make them count on your taxes. Whether you want to do your taxes yourself or have a TurboTax expert file for you, we’ll make sure you get every dollar you deserve and your biggest possible refund – guaranteed. 

17 responses to “TurboTax is Open and Accepting Tax Returns Now!”

  1. It says on google that you say that e fileing with you is free.Then why did you charge me $300 for fileing? This is not fair. My name is doris hada and im going somewhere else next year.you are not saying what your saying.im supposed to get back about $500 and im only getting $224 while you get $300.is that fair no its not.i work hard for my money not to give half of my hard earned money. Im not very happy with you people at all!!

  2. I use turbo every year. I’m 77 retired and have 2 rentals and will file head of household. The new tax is so confusing, will turbo be able to let me know whether to use standard n still itemize for my rentals. I usually do my taxes the last weekend in march as I need help with do I g them.

    Alice fixmer

  3. Hola. Entre a los E U en junio/18 y necesito ayuda para hacer mis taxes soy residente y gano $400 dólares al mes cuidando un baby no tengo la más mínima idea cómo hacerlo

  4. I ride uber and left to work for over 2 years and pay about 260.00 a month. Can I file that as transportation on my taxes.

    • I get disability and is not taxed but I HAVE a part time job and that’s taxed,,my questions is do I add both income together when I file

  5. My daughter has filed her taxes and I just found out she has been claiming her child born 12/14/2010 since 2013 she has fraudulently claimed and lied on each year filed that she claimed head of household earned income credit and received additional tax credit for the child she did this to gain personal financial gain I am her mother and I have full custody of her child since the child was 3 days old my daughter was in prison when she gave birth the child has resided with me since 12/17/2010 the child has never spent more than 24 hours with her mother since she was born and the mother has been in and out of jail and is currently in jail now she received over 6,000$ in federal taxes and over 500$ in state returns last year she had no permission at anytime from me to do this and has never provided the child with any money’s from any of the money she received by falsely claiming her on her taxes since2013 what can I do to legally stop her and prevent this from ever happening again and would be willing to prosecute her for fraud the irs and state. My name is dawn v Lewis and my daughters name is Lindsay n. Wethington I’m currently going to court to get adoption of the minor child my grandchild the mother has agreed to this and has willing signing all the paperwork. I’ve had full custody of the child since she was born thank you

  6. Hello my name is keonta boyd and i didn’t get any tax returns because i filed expemt. But my job gave me another chance to refill out my form and said that i supposed to get my returns in 2 weeks but ita been 2 months and i still havent got mi taxes

    • Did you solve the tax problems? What fid your employer have to do with tax filing?

      Employer responsibility is to fike w2 esrnings reportby January 30 after close of year.

      Did you track your e file status file?

      It could take up to 3 months to receive a refund:

      If you double file taxes you need call irs to see your file: ask if they received two filings then if irs has two filings you need to void one by getting professional to do a x form.

      While in discussions with IRS find out what delayed your refund?

      Several reasons can delay a refund:

      Court orders
      Student loans
      Innocent spouse relief
      Employer theft of your income tax- fics rephrase failure by employer to send fica in time. Kidding…

      Best luck.

      You can request a live CPA from turbo tax to help before take the initial steps of calling irs if you can have IRS send a letter so you show it ( scan) to the turbo tax professional.

      Hope this help you

Leave a Reply