• Blog
  • Income
  • How to File Taxes in Multiple States After Moving
If I Moved, How Do I File Taxes in Multiple States (1440 x 600 px)
If I Moved, How Do I File Taxes in Multiple States (411 x 600 px)

How to File Taxes in Multiple States After Moving

Read the Article

If you moved from one state to another, you probably registered to vote in your new state and got a new driver’s license. And when it’s time to file your taxes, there’s more you need to do. 

While you still have one federal tax return to file, you will probably need to file a tax return in the state you moved from and the state you have moved to. That means you’ll have three tax returns you’ll have to file this year unless you are lucky enough to have moved into or out of a state without any income tax.

If this is you, don’t worry. TurboTax will guide you and help you easily file multiple state tax returns based on your entries. 

Filing Part-Year Resident Tax Returns

For the year of your move, you’ll file a part-year resident tax return in each state you lived in.  However you won’t have to pay double the state tax. Each state taxes the income that was earned in that particular state, but most states don’t tax the income earned in the other state. If that’s the case for you, you’ll separate your income between the two state tax returns. 

For example, if you moved on June 30, your income through that date will be reported on the tax return you file for the state you used to live in, and your income after that date will be taxed by your current state of residence. 

If you had income from interest or dividends that was paid ratably during the year, you’ll divide that in accordance with the number of days you spent in each location – 50-50 if continuing with the June 30th example. 

Or if you know how much you earned in each state, for example, you closed a savings account in your old location and opened one in your new location, you can report the exact income you earned in each state.

A few states require that you report all your income for the year to that state if you are a resident at the end of the year. If you have to report some of that income to your old state as well, you may be worried that you are paying double state tax on that income. 

But don’t worry! On the tax return for your new state, you can claim a tax credit for tax paid to your old state on the same income. That tax credit will offset the extra tax on the income you had to report to both states. TurboTax has a handy FAQ to help you enter you information based upon each state you resided in.

TurboTax Has You Covered

Don’t worry about knowing the tax implications of moving to a new state — TurboTax will ask you simple questions about you and give you the tax deductions and credits you’re eligible for based on your entries. 

No matter what moves you made last year, TurboTax will make them count on your taxes. Whether you want to do your taxes yourself or have a TurboTax expert file for you, we’ll make sure you get every dollar you deserve and your biggest possible refund – guaranteed. 

Comments are closed.