How Can You Get a Copy of Your Tax Return? What is the Difference Between a Tax Return Transcript and a Copy of Your Transcript?

Tax Tips

You’ve probably heard you should save your tax returns and supporting records for at least three (preferably seven) years after the filing deadline.  Of course, you’re also supposed to eat more bran, drink less soda, and drive your car slower.  Sometimes good intentions don’t quite play out.

Say you suddenly find yourself in need of one of your old tax returns.  Such a circumstance might come about when applying for a loan, be it a home mortgage, refinancing, or for college funding.  If you’re unable to find your tax return among the piles of old photo albums and dated baseball cards in your closet, the IRS can help.  Here’s how:

Request Your Tax Return

Surprising as this might be, to receive a copy of an old tax return from the IRS, you must fill out a form.  In this case, the paperwork is Form 4506, aptly named “Request for a Tax Return.”  While the form is straightforward, it is not without cost—each tax return you would like to receive will set you back $57.  (Why $57 and not $50 or $60 remains an uninvestigated mystery).  You can request any tax return up to six years old. (No, you can’t request someone else’s tax return.)

Once your check clears, expect your return(s) to arrive in about 2 months.  Note that if you are impacted by a federal disaster area, you probably won’t have to pay any fees.

Only Need the Highlights?  Get a Transcript

Sometimes, the requesting your entire return is unnecessary.  Given the cost, first check to see if a tax return transcript will satisfy your needs. If so, request a transcript, available at no cost.  To get your tax return transcript, simply dial 800-908-9946 or visit  Then, click Online Services and choose “Order a Transcript.”

A transcript provides all the most important line items for your return and is often sufficient for your lender’s documentation requirements. Unlike a full tax return, transcripts are available for the previous three years only.

To request your transcript, complete 4506-EZ, the short form for requesting an Individual Tax Return Transcript.  This relatively new form is streamlined, especially for those who are going through a mortgage application, refinancing, or modification.  As such, you can request your transcript be mailed directly to a third party such as your lender.

You can get all forms at the IRS web site ( or by calling 800-829-3676.

Comments (36) Leave your comment

  1. My son needs tax return information, urgently, for medical purposes. He filed through turbo tax last year. Is there any way you can help us, please?

  2. I didn’t work for the last 5 years, I want to know if the IRS can give me a paper saying I didn’t file taxes because I didn’t work….

  3. Question, if I fill out a 4506 to get copy of past years tax returns will they also send me copies if there was an ammendment done any of those years or do i need another form?

  4. Whats up very cool web site!! Man .. Beautiful ..

    Amazing .. I will bookmark your site and take
    the feeds also? I’m glad to seek out a lot of useful information here in the put up, we need work out extra techniques
    on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

  5. What if I found descrepancy between original tax filing document and Tax return transcript even though there was no adjustments? I am applying mortgage and the lender found when they received the transcript from the 3rd party order. Should I contact IRS?

  6. I need tax return information for the years of 1990, 1991 and 2001. IRS and Soc. Security say they can not help me. One place of employment lost records in a flood. And another one would not look for any records since she was a new director and they were in the basement. HELP please!

  7. how can i get a copy of my 2011 tax returns. I no longer have access to my prio email address. I followed the instructions under my account and still no luck.

      1. Lisa,
        This doesn’t work.. I have used TurboTax for 4 years and can’t get in my account. I have been trying for 2 weeks. Support said there was a tech issue.
        I received an email that it was resolved but still no luck.

  8. How can I access my most recent tax return for 2011, I’m finding directions on how to find earlier returns but it seems like when I try to get my most recent return (2011’s) it just redirects me around to getting 2010 and earlier returns.

    I just want to access my most recent tax return forms,all I need it for is to prove that I didn’t claim my child this year.

    1. Hi Mary,

      You can access your 2011 tax return by clicking on the “My Account” link at the top of and logging into your account.



  9. I filed etaxes in Aoril and I was under the imoression that I paid a fee to be able to access them again . Can I access them and print them out?

    1. Hi Lani,
      You can access your tax return with your user name and password if you filed with TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home and Business, or Business.
      If you used Free you can access your saved PDF file. Please see our support FAQ to access your tax return
      The instructions say 2010, but they will still work.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Lewis

  10. Hi Lisa, whenever I request online or on the phone for my 2011 tax return transcript, it always says unavailable or something along those lines. I filed sometime a couple months ago. Is there a waiting period before you can request a transcript?

    1. I need a copy of my 2008 on line filled tax papers. This was filled through Turbo tax. I have tried to get on your website to print out a copy, but can not find the paperwork. How do I get a copy. I need to mail the irs a copy no later than 9/20. Please help and advise.

      1. I need a copy of my 2008 on line filled tax papers. This was filled through Turbo tax. I have tried to get on your website to print out a copy, but can not find the paperwork. How do I get a copy. I need to mail the irs a copy no later than 9/20. Please help and advise.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s