Can I Claim My Parents as Dependents?

Family Stocksy_txp55298ec3RT3000_Small_115313

It is increasingly common for adult children to take care of their elderly parents.  When such support begins to become both financial and significant, many wonder whether a tax break might be available to help offset some of the expenses.

As is the answer to too many other tax questions, the answer to this one is also, “It depends.”  Here are some of the key considerations to determine if you can claim your parent as a dependent.  (For easy understanding, we’ll assume the parent in question is your mother.)

How Much Support Do You Give Your Mother?

To take the dependent exemption for Mom, you must provide significant support to her. Giving Mom a shoulder to lean on or other emotional support is irrelevant.  We’re talking about significant financial support.

In fact, your support must be at least half of the cost of what it takes to keep her comfortable.  That cost includes any money spent on items as various as food, shelter, clothing, and medical care.  If your support is not at least 50% of the total, you cannot claim your parent as your dependent.

Where Does Mom Live?  Is She a U.S. citizen?  Is She Even Your Real Mother?

To be eligible, Mom must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. resident alien, a U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.  Of course, Mom has to actually be your Mom too.

While a mother-in-law would also qualify, another woman (even if she was “like a mother” to you growing up), will not unless she lived with you the entire year.  Your mother or mother-in-law would not be required to live with you the entire year since she is your relative.

How Much Does Mom Make?

If your mother earns more than the personal exemption for the tax year in question ($3,900 in 2013), then she is not eligible to be claimed as a dependent by another individual.  Keep in mind that income from Social Security does not count for this purpose.

If I Can Claim Mom, What Is It Worth?

If your mother qualifies to be your dependent, the tax savings come at you in a few ways. Most obviously, the increased personal exemption reduces your taxable income by $3,900 in 2013.

Furthermore, if you are unmarried on the last day of the year and qualify to claim your parent as a dependent, you are also permitted to file as Head of Household (rather than Single), which means you benefit from lower tax rates applied to your taxable income.

Third, if you pay for the care of your mother while you are at work and your mother cannot take care of herself, establishing Mom as a dependent will qualify such expenses for the Dependent Care Tax Credit. Finally, you can write off qualified medical expenses for all of your dependents as an itemized deduction.

While the tests to determine eligibility for qualifying a parent as a dependent are numerous, ultimately, they are fairly straightforward. Furthermore, taken together, the monetary rewards for going through the analysis can be substantial.

Fortunately, TurboTax streamlines the process by asking you the key questions in order to help make this determination for you, saving you not only time, but in this case, money as well.

Comments (10) Leave your comment

  1. Just wish to say your article is as amazing. The clarity in your post is simply excellent and
    i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your
    permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated
    with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

  2. My Mother moved in with me and my husband last year.She gets money through Social Security and she pays her own medical bills.Me and my husband pay the mortgage,furnish a vehicle,which has gotten pretty expensive and the gas to and from her Dr.appointments.We also pay the water,cable and electric bills.can I claim my Mother on taxes?

  3. My mom lives with me no income, filed for disability and hasn’t received anything yet i take care of everything including buyin her medicine. Can i claim her and if so how do i do it? Thanks

  4. (This has nothing to do with this article I just wanted to express wht I have to say)
    What has happened to those old-timey speeches that make your whole body have chills. The ones that have a real point, where the speaker has a final best-for-the-people decision.

  5. My mother received $4 616 received in 2013 from SSI can I claim her as Dependent? I cover for all her expenses

    1. All you need to do is to read the article more closely: “If your mother earns more than the personal exemption for the tax year in question ($3,900 in 2013), then she is not eligible to be claimed as a dependent by another individual.  Keep in mind that income from Social Security does not count for this purpose.”

  6. what about adult children and their young children living with the parent///
    If the adult children are unemployed.
    Are they considered dependents to the parent
    and is there a credit for this??

  7. We had claimed my mother on our income taxes, who lived with us and we supplied everything for her. She passed away on April 20, 2013? Can she be claimed on our income taxes for that year?


Leave a Reply to Ila Buchanan Cancel reply