Getting together this weekend to celebrate Cinco De Mayo? While you may be tempted to go out and spend money on the festivities, you can make this weekend a financially smart one by getting everyone together at your place.
Whether it’s Cinco De Mayo or another celebration, hosting a party at home with your friends and family can be memorable, special, and can help you save a ton of money.
- Send digital invites: Do the earth and your wallet a favor and send digital invites to your loved ones. For those who are more old school, go personal with a phone call. Even if they can’t make it, you have a chance to catch-up. Social media sites like Facebook will even let you create your own public or private event for free!
- Split the cooking: Divide and conquer with all of your guests – ask them to bring their favorite dishes for the special occasion. You will also have the added bonus of swapping stories about what they made.
- Be a savvy party shopper: While party stores can have supplies conveniently in one place, I’ve found checking out your local dollar and discount stores can get you most of the serving utensils, decor, and games for cheaper. You can then get the more specific items at the party store, getting the most bang for your hard-earned buck.
- Visit your local warehouse club: If you’re looking to score deals for a big party, your membership can slash your bill down (just make sure you get there early to avoid the crowds).
- Get inspired by Pinterest: I’ve found the site a great resource for DIY party planning!