TurboTax Launches TurboTax Military Edition: We Speak Military

TurboTax News

TurboTax has released a new product to support U.S. troops. TurboTax Military Edition is personalized to the specific needs of military filers and was created by active, reserve, and retired military personnel and military spouses to address the specific challenges that come with being a military tax filer.


Step-by-Step Guidance Personalized to U.S. Military Needs

With step-by-step guidance to help claim every tax deduction and credit you’re entitled to, TurboTax Military Edition is easy to use and walks you through military specific provisions, including:

  • State of residency
  • Filing in multiple states
  • Combat pay
  • BAS and BAH
  • Deductions for uniforms, relocation, PCS, and special provisions for the earned income tax credit

helping you keep more of what’s yours.

Free Limited Time Offer

If you are junior enlisted personnel, rank E-1 to E-5, you can prepare and file your federal and state tax returns with TurboTax Military Edition for free, through Feb. 14, 2013.

TurboTax CPAs are also available for you year round as a free service to provide expert, one-on-one personalized answers to your tax questions.

Intuit, a Freedom Award winner and G.I. Jobs Top 100 employer, has hired veterans and military spouses with expertise in military taxes so that customers using TurboTax Military Edition have tax experts in their corner who personally understand their situation.

Want to experience TurboTax Military Edition with help from TurboTax tax experts in person? We are holding a tax filing event for enlisted personnel and their families on Thursday, February 7th, 2013 from 10 am – 7 pm PST at the Intuit, San Diego headquarters.  To reserve your time and for more details email Kay_Romubio@intuit.com.

You can also tune in to our “Last Minute Tax Tips That Save You Money and Gets You a Bigger Refund” webinar on, Wednesday, December 19 at 1:30 pm PST.  We will cover some end of year tax tips for military families.  Log-in to to Adobe Connect at https://meet71696781.adobeconnect.com/_a1103789093/taxtips/

Comments (28) Leave your comment

  1. I am a Inactive Ready Reserve E-5 Sailor that just exited active service this past May but I am still doing the required online courses. Am I eligible for the Turbo Tax Military edition since it was my primary source of income for the year or is there any other options available for me?

    1. Hi Marco,
      Yes, if your primary source of income was from the Military, then TurboTax Military edition is right for you.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  2. Did congress change military retiree pay dates in 2011 just to make us pay additional taxes that year. There was no other reason that made any sense. Do we have any recourse ?

    1. Hi latta – Yes, the Military Edition has the forms for a Schedule C. If it is a single member LLC, you will file a Schedule C. If it is a multi-member LLC then you may need the Business version of TurboTax to file a Partnership return. Hope that helps. Thanks, Karen

  3. Hi, I moved this year due to PCS. I had a home at my old station and rented it out when I left. Will TurboTax Military edition be able to handle the home ownership (40% of the year) and subesquent rental property (60% of 2012)? Or do I need a more robust version? Thanks for the advise

    1. Hi Karl – TurboTax Military Edition can easily handle your converted rental property. Just visit “Federal Taxes” – “Wages & Income” – “Rentals & Royalties” and launch EasyGuide. Cheers… –Christopher

  4. I am in the Army Reserve, but I also have mutual funds and an inherited IRA from my late father. Based on my additional assets, will TurboTax military edition work or will I need a higher end product? Do you offer military discount for anything more comprehensive?

    1. Hi Eugene – Yes, the military edition will work for you. It is similar to our Deluxe product. Some of the questions are different to help members of the military, but the inherited IRA will easily be handled. Thanks, Karen

  5. I’m having issues with my NY state tax return. According to Pub. 361 (12/11) if I maintain my home of record in New York State but my permanent place of abode is outside of New York State (I’ve lived in Washington State all year due to being stationed here), I should get 100% of my refund for state taxes back. However after doing a IT-203 non-residence form I’m only getting $10 back, not nearly the full amount.

    Will I need to switch to the military version to correct this or am I simply missing a step?

    1. Hi Michael,

      If you qualify for the NY exemption, you will need to file a NY non-resident return to get a refund of any tax withheld.

      To qualify for the exemption, you must meet the following requirements:
      1. You did not maintain any permanent place of abode in New York State during the tax year; and
      2. you maintained a permanent place of abode outside New York State during the entire tax year; and
      3. you spent 30 days or less (any part of a day is a day for this purpose) in New York State during the tax year.

      If you meet the requirements, as you work through your state return, change your residency status to Nonresident.
      In the next question, indicate no living quarters in NY. For the New York Income Allocation question, select “No”.
      When you land on the page titled “Your Form W-2 Summary”, click Edit next to your DFAS W-2.

      On the following page, indicate that you want to allocate the income by percentage, and enter zero as the percentage.
      That should exclude your military pay from NY tax.


  6. I am a reservist and travel 42 miles each way for my IDT weekends (Total 84 miles per day & 168 per weekend). I also pay a $13 toll each day ($26 total). I do not stay overnight. Is there a way to deduct my mileage/tolls?

    Also – I purchased Turbo Tax deluxe before I found out about the free military version. Is it worth using vs deluxe?

    Even if i didnot benefit from it, Great Job Turbo Tax with this offer!!

    1. Hi Chris,
      Yes you would deduct this as an itemized deduction. If the mileage was 100 miles from home and overnight you would be able to deduct it without itemizing.
      Both deluxe and our new TurboTax Military Edition will handle these deductions.
      Sorry you found out about TurboTax Military Edition after your purchase. Maybe you can return it and use our military edition.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

      1. sorry for the long delay, but could you be a little more specific where i would enter the mileage deduction. again, i travel 84 miles roundtrip each day with a $13 toll. Would it be under just travel expenses? i am not sure traveling for my idt drills meets the criteria. thanks!

  7. Is there a way to itemize on the Military Edition? I do not want to risk an audit. I filed for a loss to the rental amount. Please help. Thanks

  8. I am active and my husband is not in the military. I PCS’d in 2012, we have children that live with my husband in another state. What is the best filing status for both of us.

    Can more than one family file head of household if they live in the same house, but are different families. Thank you

  9. I was wondering, can a former soldier, who retired in summer/fall 2012 use the military free edition of turbo tax 2012 including the state tax?
    How does it work, when his military W2 is for his home of record and the hor doesn’t have state tax, but his new job in a different state does. If you could explain it to me would be great.

  10. Military person travel more than 100 miles away from home in connection with your service, you can deduct your unreimbursed travel expenses on your return as a more generous adjustment to income rather than as an itemized deduction.

  11. I am very disappointed with Turbo Tax this year. I had a baby in 2012 and your software will not let me claim my child as a dependent. I have visited many other sites and they allow me to do so. This will be the first year I don’t use your site for my taxes.

    1. Hi Jessica,
      Congratulations on your baby! Sorry you experienced a problem.
      I can assure you nothing is wrong with the program. Many people are claiming dependents and getting their related deductions and credits they are eligible for.
      Please go back through your personal information and dependent information. Many people go quickly through the personal and dependent area and if you miss one question or one question is answered incorrectly it will make you ineligible for deducting your dependent.
      You can call one of our tax experts at 1.800.4.intuit and they can go over that area of the tax software and help you.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

Leave a Reply