Where’s My W2? 1099?

Tax Tips

In a previous blog, we talked about the fact that you would be receiving your W-2s from your employer and your 1099’s from your banks by January 31st.  Now it’s the first week in February, you haven’t received your W-2 and 1099 and you’re ready to file your tax return.

Missing W-2

If you have not received your W-2, contact your employer. The W-2 may have been sent to any incorrect address and it may take time for the W-2 to be resent and that’s ok. However if the W-2 is not being resent and you haven’t receive it by February 15, you can call the IRS at 800-829-1040.  See IRS Tax Tip 2007-22  for more information.

Missing 1099

Form 1099 refers to your 1099-INT (interest income earned), 1099-DIV (dividends earned), 1099-R (distributions from pensions, IRAs, etc), 1099-MISC (miscellaneous income), 1099-B (stock and sales proceeds), SSA-1099 (social security benefits). 

If you haven’t received your 1099s by now, first check to see if the information was included on your final year statement.  Often times, the 1099 information is included on your December and/or January statement.  Since you don’t have to attach a 1099 to your tax return (unless it includes withholding), it’s all right to get accurate information and file your tax return without waiting on the 1099.  If you can’t find accurate information, then it’s time to call the payer, such as your bank. 

Again, if it’s not being resent and it’s February 15th, call the IRS at the number listed under Missing W-2.  Be sure to read the informational IRS Tax Tip 2007-24.

Brokerage Statements

Don’t be too worried if you haven’t received your yearly statement from your stock broker with the various 1099 information on your interest & dividend income and stock sales.  Many brokerage companies have requested an extra 30 days from the IRS to mail you the information. Some are doing this so you won’t have to receive corrected statements later in the tax season. So if you’re waiting for your brokerage statement, sit back and wait to finish your tax return. 

Comments (2) Leave your comment

Leave a Reply