Where’s My Federal Refund?

Tax Tips

You’ve finally completed your tax return and got it out the door (either through electronic filing or the mailbox.) You’ve been patiently waiting for that refund check. Now you’re tired of waiting….where is that refund?

Through the years, the IRS has obviously received too many phone calls asking that question. They’ve set up a “Where’s My Refund” website just for such questions. Whether you are expecting a direct deposit or a check in the mail, you can track the refund through this secure website. If you only filed to get your telephone excise tax refund, you can still use this website.

If it’s been more than 28 days since you sent your return, you can start a refund trace on this site. Also if the IRS shows that it was unable to deliver your refund, you can change your address online.

Before you go to the IRS website, find the copy of your tax return.

You’ll need the following information:

1) Your social security number (upper right hand corner on page 1 of your tax return)

2)  Your filing status (single, married filing joint, etc.)

3) The exact amount of refund shown on your return:

Form 1040 – line 74a

Form 1040A – line 45a

Form 1040EZ – line 12a

Form 1040EZ-T – line 1a

Here’s the link to the “Where’s My Refund” website: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

If you’re concerned about your state refund, contact your state tax board. See 2006 State Information and follow the individual links to get contact information for your state

For more information on your refund, check out:

When Will I Get My Refund?

Why Is My Tax Refund Less than Expected?


Comments (0) Leave your comment

Leave a Reply