Ask a Tax Expert Michael Stadler

Ask a Tax Expert Michael Stadler

Ask a Tax Expert Michael Stadler


Comments (42) Leave your comment

  1. I have a question about a Split Dollar Life Insurance Agreement between an employer and an employee.
    Is there a number I can call you?

  2. Hey Michael,

    I’m confused about my niece being qualified to be put on my tax return. She lives in Mexico, but was born in the U.S. I’m planning on sending her most of the money that I receive from her tax.
    Thank you. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

  3. Hello, I signed a 48 month leased on a car in the state of Texas whereby $3600 was paid in sales tax up front, although I pay monthly in lease payments. On federal tax filling, Schedules A & B, do I file against the entire $3600 at once or 1/4th over the next four years?

  4. I am truly keen of viewing comical videos at youtube, and this video clip is really so comical, hehehhe.

    1. Hi Venise,
      Yes if you call you can speak to someone live to help you. That will be better for you since they can walk you through the steps and you can speak to someone that specializes in the iPAD.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  5. I am on my iPad and I can’t print my 2010 returns that I did with you all and it kept getting rejected, please help!

    1. Hi Venise,
      You cannot e-file your 2010 taxes you have to paper file those, but can you please contact our live tax experts so they can speak to you and walk through e-filing your 2011 since you are still being rejected. I think your issue should be resolved by speaking to someone live since you are getting the same message. Call They will be able to help you finish your taxes.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  6. I need to file my 2010 taxes as well as my 2011. The reason I didn’t file is I kept getting the error that my AGI was not correct even after I called IRS and typed in the correct one it still not go through about a total of 6 times….what do I do?

  7. dont remember what the email address was when they were done can you access it by my social or birthdate

  8. someone filed my taxes with turbo tax but did not give me the password or user name to get to the information how do i get it

  9. Hi Lisa,
    Am a married Resident alien and my wife has never been to US.Do I need to file as MFJ or MFS?What is the process of getting ITIN for her as she doesnot live in US?Please help with the details.


      1. Hi Phani,

        Yes, anyone can file for an extension. This gives you an extra 6 months to file your taxes. You can do this for free with TurboTax.

        However, an extension to file is not an extension to pay if you owe.

        Here is the IRS information on how to apply for an ITIN,,id=96287,00.html

        Hope this helps!


  10. I filed a joint return with my husband of one year. He spent the majority of 2011 in Kuwaite on deployment. The IRS intercepted our return saying that it went to my husbands student loan. I didn’t even know this bill existed.
    How can I get my money from the IRS. Seeing how my husband was out of the country for 10 out of the 12 months of the year, most of that return was based on my income.

  11. I retired last June from a school system, and began receiving AA payments in Sept. Somehow for three months, the gov. didn’t take out fed. income taxes. When I input just my tax info, I was due a refund of approx. $3,000. When I input my husband’s income (he’s still working), we owed $3,000. I am wondering if we would be better off filing separately-we have never had to pay before. Thanks for your help.

    1. Hello Sandy,

      The benefits of filing separately will depend greatly on whether or not your state is “community property”. If so, Married Filing Separate may not give much tax benefit. The refund that you initially saw in your return was based on a Married Filing Joint filing status and gave you credit for all of the exemptions due a married couple – if you switch to Married Filing Separate, your exemption amounts will change and might nullify some or all of that refund.

      If you are using TurboTax, you could try creating returns both ways just to see which way will give you the better result.

      Thank you,
      Denise Elliott

  12. I submitted a federal and state tax return for my daugther. I mistakenly did not check the box that said she is a dependent of mine. I then subimitted a federal and state tax return for my wife and myself. I claimed my son and daugther as depedents. Her return went through fine and we got her refund from the ferdal return. For state, she did not owe anything. My returns got rejected because of the mismatch. When I redo her returns saying that she is a dependent the federal refund stays the same but we now owe $7 on the state. This is because we originally were due a refund of $7 and just chose to donate it to get to a $0 refund/pay position. How do I fix this?

    1. Hi Pete,
      When you amend her tax returns TurboTax will automatically deduct any refunds from the original tax return from your new tax refund amount, because it assumes you already received your tax refund based on the original tax return so make sure you look at the net amount due or to be refunded on the amended tax return. In addition, your daughter may owe on state since you now checked off she is being claimed as a dependent on your tax return. If you need further help, please get into your tax return and go to live tax advice where they can do a live look at your tax return and help you.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  13. My son and I were involved in a lawnmower accident seven years ago, in which he lost his foot. I was driving the mower and suffer from PTSD and Anxiety attacks. I have been unable to mow the yard since the accident and have had to hire someone to mow my yard every year. I haven’t thought of it before but, I was wondering if the cost involved in hiring a mower is tax deductible?

    I asked this on the other page but am guessing it was too hard for TTLisa because she removed it rather than answer it.

    1. Hi Ashmed,
      Your question is not too hard. I am the blog editor and not the live tax advice. I am answering everyone’s questions even though I am the editor. I think people are confused since I have a blog about the tax advice.

      Sorry about your accident. You would not be able to write off the cost of mowing your lawn unless it was a rental property.

      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  14. I am in the wrap up –
    Schedule C (Realtor) — Form 8829 (16 Pond Rd) — Form 8829 Worksheet: Allocable home office expenses from both copies of the Form 8829 worksheet, when added together, must equal Schedule C, line 28 total expenses of $5156.00

    but when I put 5156 inthe field the system comes back with the same error. how do I fix it?

    1. Hi Dean,
      From within the tax program please go to the live tax advice so that they can help you. I am not sure what message you are getting. The live tax advice experts have capability to also do a live look at your screen so they can see what you are talking about. I am the blog editor and I don’t have the capability to live look at your screen. I want you to get your answer quicker.

      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

    1. Hi Steve,
      Within the tax program please click on live tax advice so that a live tax advice agent can help you. Sorry I am the blog editor and I can answer tax questions, however the issue you have would be better serviced if they can do a live look at your screen and speak to you live.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  15. mailing my state return(california).included in filing forms is a schedule w2 that is blank. we have no w2s have no wages ,only pension & social security .does this form have to be included in return to be mailed?It printed out with return to be mailed?confusing says to attach of form 540 ? Do I attach blank form if we have no w2 wages?

    1. Hi Donald,
      It can’t hurt to attach it. The Franchise tax board will know the types of income you have which is already reported to them.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

      1. Hi, Lisa. My name is Michelle Bonilla, please can you help me. I did my taxes on 1/31/2012 the account number the I give to the person who did my taxes was closed and since the I been wetting for my check, I went to the office where these person was on March she tell me that my check was rejected because the account was closed, and I will recive my check by mail. I am sick and I been cooling to the IRs and they said the my check was send but I didn’t received and they give me a number to call I call and nobody pick up.plz help me.. On the time my name was Mercedes Bonilla

      1. Hi Lisa. I have a question ,my boyfriend fill his taxes on 4/17/2012 and haven recive nothing yeah. Can you see his name is (. Humberto Batista

      2. Hi,
        First, did he receive notification that the tax return was accepted? If accepted he has to check status on the IRS WMR tool. Here is a support FAQ to help
        Please note the IRS has been experiencing processing delays so tax refunds could take longer than the normal processing time.
        If his tax return was rejected, he needs to fix his return and resubmit it.
        Thank you,
        Lisa Greene-Lewis

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s