Celebrate Armed Forces Day with These 4 Military Savings Tips

Tax Planning Extensive series of people/passengers at an airport.  Multi-ethnic models with a variety of props in various locations.

To our members of the U.S. military: We appreciate all that you do serving our country. Today, in honor of Armed Forces Day, we share some military-focused tax tips.
Combat Pay Exclusion
If you serve in a designated combat zone, certain types of income are not taxable. This exclusion is determined on a month by month basis. To exclude the income, the month that you are paid for must be a month when you were in a combat zone (or were hospitalized due to serving in a combat zone.) Being in a combat zone for at least one day in a given month is all that is required to qualify for the entire month’s exclusion.
Save Today and for Tomorrow
Enrolling in the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is the best way to create a forced savings program – and save on taxes! Your contributions are made before they are taxed. Furthermore, the growth in your TSP account is tax deferred, meaning you won’t pay taxes on the TSP until you take your money out, ideally in retirement.  Another, even more aggressive option for saving for your future, is the Roth TSP. While you forgo a tax-free contribution, the growth of your account occurs tax-free, meaning you won’t pay tax on the TSP account balance when you take it out at retirement.
Deadline Extensions
As the normal April 15 filing deadline date approached, some military members found themselves in a combat zone, hospitalized as a result, or in a contingency operation. Fortunately, the IRS realizes you appropriately had far more pressing things on your mind. As a result, your tax deadline for filing may be extended until at least October 15. Quite possibly, it may be extended longer depending on the timing of your exit from the military situation which triggered the extension in the first place.
Moving Expenses
Civilians can no longer deduct unreimbursed moving expenses when they move for a job under tax reform, but if you are an active duty member of the military who must move due to a permanent change of station, you can still deduct your reasonable unreimbursed moving expenses. The tax deduction is limited to unreimbursed expenses paid to move your  household and family. That means that any house-hunting trip expenses and food on your moving trip are excluded. Reasonable lodging in route and temporary storage is permitted, however.

Leave a Reply