In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, we’re spotlighting Latinx entrepreneurs who have built businesses rooted in Hispanic culture and traditions. In a series of articles and videos, we’ll learn more about the journeys of four #LatinXCulturepreneurs from September 15 – October 15.
LatinxCulturepreneur Luis Aguilar is the Co-Founder of Molcajete Dominguero, the largest Latinx pop-up in the country. Originally from Mexico City, Luis came to the United States when he was 3 years old and moved to Santa Ana, California. He worked in marketing for over 10 years and later found his passion in the modern-day swap meet or pop-up industry.
During a trip to Seattle, Luis attended a pop-up event where he met vendors that sold Mexican textiles. Through this experience, Luis realized that Latinx vendors did not have a dedicated space to promote their products, where he lived in Los Angeles, California. So, he founded Molcajete Dominguero, a monthly pop-up event that provides a space for Latinx vendors to showcase and sell unique items. After only two years, Molcajete Dominguero has grown to include over 100 artists and vendors from Los Angeles to San Francisco and everywhere in between participating in the pop-up each month.
Molcajete Dominguero was inspired by nostalgia from Luis’s childhood days spent at the swap meet, with a modern twist to appeal to today’s millennial generation. Luis and his business partner describe the pop-up as a multigenerational event for spending a Sunday with family and friends. The event encourages the community to support local creative vendors in a family-friendly environment. Molcajete Dominguero has helped artists grow their businesses and plans to keep expanding to cities that have amazing Latinx culturepreneurs without the platform to sell or be seen within the community.
Luis believes that Hispanic Heritage Month is a time to celebrate Latinx culture, a moment that brings attention to individuals doing extraordinary things not only for themselves but for the community at large.
According to Luis, taking the first step to become an entrepreneur is only the beginning of what can be a challenging but rewarding process. In order to succeed, you need to plan and take into consideration various factors, especially from a financial standpoint. He started Molcajete Dominguero with only $50 and understands the need to plan ahead and focus on finances! He shares the following advice for aspiring entrepreneurs:
- Do not be afraid to fail. Failure helps you learn and grow. The biggest failure is not trying because that will only leave you with “what if.”
- Focus on finances. Take time to establish the financial strategy that suits you best.
- Word of mouth is important. Social media can be a key ally and can help you tap into community support to grow your business
- Treat everybody with respect. Your community is the engine of your business, make them feel valued.
Intuit customers like Luis rely on key tools to either grow their business, stay on track with their finances or file taxes. If you are an entrepreneur or self-employed, don’t forget to check out our Intuit products that can help you achieve your financial goals:
- TurboTax Self-Employed helps you easily uncover tax deductions specific to your industry. If you have questions as you are filing your taxes or around estimated taxes during the year, you can connect live via one-way video to a TurboTax Live Self-Employed CPA or Enrolled Agent to get the answers you need in English or Spanish.
- QuickBooks Self-Employed easily helps you track your income, expenses, mileage, and capture receipts with a snap of a picture year-round, and then transfer your business information to your TurboTax Self-Employed tax return making tax-time a breeze.
- Mint provides users with a more complete picture of their financial life – from what they earn to what they spend, owe and save – to help alleviate the daily stress associated with managing their financial life.