In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, we’re spotlighting Latinx entrepreneurs who have built businesses rooted in Hispanic culture and traditions. In a series of articles and videos, we’ll learn more about the journeys of four #LatinXCulturepreneurs from September 15 – October 15.
LatinxCulturepreneur Kathy Cano-Murillo is a blogger, speaker, author, artist, and founder of Crafty Chica, a creative, motivational, and lifestyle site offering hundreds of tutorials, recipes, and inspiration for creativity. She is a third-generation, Mexican-American who was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona. She started her professional career as a reporter at the Arizona Republic writing a weekly craft column. In 2007, she decided to show the world how a woman can turn her love for glitter and glue into a business.
During her career as a craft columnist, Kathy realized that there was a lack of Latinx representation in the billion-dollar crafting industry. Since she could not find her culture reflected in stores, she started to create and sell her own Hispanic-inspired crafts and books. Her products were extremely unique and thus quickly rose in popularity. Before she knew it, Kathy was selling to more than 300 accounts. However, keeping up with demand became a challenge and caused Kathy to change her business model; instead of making crafts, she empowered consumers to make their own culturally-relevant projects through tutorials and that’s how Crafty Chica was born. A business that started with her husband and children as personal assistants, is now an enterprise with art production, virtual assistants, editors, and graphic designers.
Hispanic culture plays a big part in Kathy’s personal and professional life. She is committed to showcasing her heritage through art and being a positive role model in her community. For Kathy, Hispanic Heritage Month is a time when people can celebrate the accomplishments of Latinx while also inspiring the next generation of culturepreneurs.
After almost 20 years since the launch of Crafty Chica, Kathy says that being an entrepreneur allowed her to be in control of her own destiny. She has made mistakes along the way but has also learned key lessons she wants to share with other entrepreneurs:
- Identify your end goal and work backwards to achieve it. Plan and strategize while visualizing your goals.
- Invest in yourself and your education. Spend time learning from people around you that can contribute to your ideas.
- Identify “what” you want and “why” you want it. Ask critical questions to see if your passion is also a business opportunity. These questions will help you understand if you are ready to level up a hobby into a business.
- Invest time and money in your business. Even though things don’t always work out, you will succeed if you keep working at it.
- Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to use social media as a tool to find a happy medium between what people demand and what your business will offer.
- Pay attention to every dollar that comes in and out. The key to achieving manageable cashflows is to avoid a scarcity mindset.
- Don’t waste time. Waiting for perfection is a mistake, find your “secret sauce” and put it into action. “Becoming an entrepreneur might require some time until you find your secret formula, just get through that fear and plan for success.”
To learn more about LatinxCulturepreneur Kathy Cano-Murillo’s business, visit Crafty Chica.
Intuit customers, like Kathy, rely on key tools to either grow their business, stay on track with their finances or file taxes. If you are an entrepreneur or self-employed, check out the Intuit products that can help you achieve your financial goals:
- TurboTax Self-Employed helps you easily uncover tax deductions specific to your industry. If you have questions as you are filing your taxes or around estimated taxes during the year, you can connect live via one-way video to a TurboTax Live Self-Employed CPA or Enrolled Agent to get the answers you need in English or Spanish.
- QuickBooks Self-Employed, easily helps you track your income, expenses, mileage, and capture receipts with a snap of a picture year-round, and then transfer your business information to your TurboTax Self-Employed tax return making tax-time a breeze.
- Mint provides users with a more complete picture of their financial life – from what they earn to what they spend, owe and save – to help alleviate the daily stress associated with managing their financial life.