In our ninth list of Top 10 Procrastinating Cities, Houston takes America’s most tax procrastinating city for the fourth time. Houston, looks like we have a problem. To help Houston residents and tax procrastinators at large, we’ve pulled together some quick and easy tips so you can act fast to file your taxes before the April 15 tax deadline. Like any good procrastinator, if you need a distraction, go ahead and play with this fun interactive visual that shows which cities slacked off on filing their taxes early last year before diving into the tips at the bottom.
Embed the above image on your site using the code below:
Free Tax Filing, Efile Taxes, Income Tax Returns – TurboTax.com
Last-Minute Tax Tips for Procrastinators:
- Even procrastinators can save money on their taxes. For example, taxpayers have up until the April 15 deadline to contribute to an IRA.
- Don’t forget charitable contributions made in 2009. Even mileage to and from volunteering is deductible.
- Go online. Taxpayers can go online to prepare and e-file taxes up to the 11th hour at http://www.TurboTax.com.
- E-file. Taxpayers can avoid the long lines at the post office and can get their refund back in as little as 8 days with direct deposit.
- Learn what tax breaks are disappearing. Better catch them before April 15.
- In the market for a home? It’s still not too late to get the Homebuyer Credit now rather than having to wait until next year.
- Need more time? Taxpayers will get an extra 6 months to file (to Oct. 15 2010). But remember…an extension to file is NOT an extension to pay taxes. TurboTax Easy Extension allows you to file your personal or business extension online.