Summer is approaching and that means wedding season is starting to pick up. If you two are planning your own joyous day of matrimony now, you may be discovering how costly the wedding can be. One site’s estimate placed it at over $28,000! It doesn’t have to be that way – you can have an awesome and memorable wedding without breaking the bank (and hopefully get the two of you started on making smart money decisions together).
Dream Wedding, Your Budget
Sit down and see what tips will work for you and what you envision for your special day this (or next) summer.
- Have your ceremony and reception at the same location. Depending on the venue, you may be able to save a significant amount of money by combining the festivities in a single spot.
- Have an outdoor reception. Finding a venue can not only be difficult, it can be expensive, especially with summer weddings. Some cities and towns offer beautiful, historical locations for a nominal fee.
- Keep your guest list intimate. It can be tempting to want to have everyone in on the celebration, but by paring down your guest list, you’re keeping the sacredness of the occasion without harming your budget.
- Choose Friday or Sunday. If your heart is set on a particular venue and/or you’re expecting out of town guests, you can still have a weekend wedding, just choose another day. Having a Friday evening or a Sunday brunch wedding can also help with food costs.
- Choose a light menu for your reception. It’s summer, time to keep things light! Instead of going with an elaborate multi-course meal, you can simplify it and serve small plates.
- Craft your decorations and favors. Handmade pieces and items can make it even more special to you and your guests. Work within your talents and skill level. If your crafty aunt or friend offers to help as their wedding gift, please take the offer (just don’t take advantage).
- Be inspired. If you’re stuck, sites like Pinterest and Etsy can give you some fantastic ideas on how to decorate and personalize your wedding day.
- Pare down on the flowers. Depending on the flowers you choose, prices can vary greatly based on what’s in season and what’s in demand right now. For those looking to go with red roses, you don’t have to leave them out, you can simply pare down your order. Focus on them for the bouquets that matter most to you and choose other beautiful flowers for your decorations. You can also choose candles for your table centerpieces and build from there.
- Choose bigger tables for the reception. Two wins with this choice – you have less centerpieces to make and more loved ones get to meet one another.
- Have your cake and smash it too. Choose the wedding cake you’d love for you and the wedding party to enjoy and have a sheet cake (tuck away in the back if you want) to serve to the rest of your guests.
Saving On Your Summer Wedding
I hope some of these tips help you trim your budget while still keeping your wedding as special as you want it. For those who’ve had already tied the knot, what tips do you have on how to have a memorable wedding and reception without breaking the bank?