When Do I Amend My Tax Return?

Tax Planning

For the last couple of years we’ve waited until about March to file our taxes even though we start the process as soon as we start receiving documents like our W-2s and 1099s. It’s not because we usually owe for the previous year,  it’s because we want to make sure we collect all the necessary documents before filing it. Many times, this year included, we received a 1099 later than the others, sometimes by two weeks or more. With everything accounted for, we go ahead and file our tax returns.

Amended Tax Return
Amended Tax Return

But what if we were wrong? What if we missed a form? What’s the procedure for that? In that case we may need to amend our tax returns.  For anyone who thinks that may have to do that, here is some information to help it be as painless as possible.

How Do I Amend My Tax Returns?

First off, make sure you need to amend your return . If you’ve made minor math errors, the IRS states that the service center will be able to handle that without requiring a 1040x. However if you need to change your filing status, credits, tax deductions, or income, then you do need to amend your tax return.

You’ll need to fill out a 1040x Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, print and sign it, and then mail it in since you can not e-file it. It takes about 8-12 weeks for the IRS to process it after they have received the amended tax return.

If you’re amending a tax return and are expecting a bigger tax refund, the IRS advises that you wait for the original tax refund check to come in before sending in your 1040x (you may cash the check you received). If you need help with amending your tax returns, TurboTax can guide your through the process.

But wait, don’t hit the amend button so fast!  There is another situation where you do not have to file an amendment.  Did you already e-file your tax return and just receive a K-1 or 1099?  If you did, but your tax return was rejected by the IRS you may not be happy about the IRS rejection, but you should be happy to know, you don’t need to amend your tax return.  All you need to do is fix your tax return and resend it.  And if you used TurboTax, there’s more good news. TurboTax will guide you through fixing your tax return.

Thoughts on Amending Tax Returns

I’d love to hear about you and how you did with taxes. How many of you had to amend a tax return? How did the process go for you?

Comments (29) Leave your comment

  1. I filed my 86-year-old father’s taxes for him using TurboTax. His income is very low, most of it comes from Social Security, so his tax liability is $0. He found a 1099-DIV for $300 that we forgot to include and it makes no difference in his tax liability – it is still $0. Should I file an amended return, even though there is no refund due or amount owed to the IRS?

  2. Do I need to file an amended return if I received a late K1 and when I complete the amended return it makes no difference in the refund/amount owed? If no difference is made to the return after inputting the K1 does it still need to be filed as an amended return?

  3. Hey I have a question….I need to have my last years tax return amended and my accountant has them and is working on them. However I just received a bill for last years taxs. To be on the safe side should I have my accountant still process the amended return to make sure all our deductions and credits are there?

  4. Hi my 2012 and 2013 return was e-filed and rejected due to my daughter claiming exemption for herself. She’s under 24, and in 2012 she was full-time student, not the case for 2013. I’m unable to claim exemption for her as qualifying child or relative(income more than $3900)…does that mean I can’t claim HoH status, or do I still keep that and enter her name, SS#, with “QND”?

    Thank you!

    1. Hi Tina,
      Unfortunately, you have to have a “qualifying child” or “qualifying relative” in order to claim head of household. Your daughter meets neither test for Head of Household in 2013. It sounds like she meets the “qualifying child” test for 2012, but your daughter could not claim herself if you wanted to claim HOH for 2012.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  5. Does TT submit 1099-MISC info to the IRS or just include it all in Gross Receipts/Sales? I can’t find anywhere on the printed forms where it shows separately the income I entered in TT. I had listed a $600 job under Other Income as a separate line, and then got a 1099-MISC for it after I filed. So my amended return does not show anything different that I can see. Do I even need to file it? Basically I just moved $600 from “Other Income” to a 1099-MISC.

  6. I need to amend my 2012 return with a form 5329. I filed my return online but cannot seem to understand how to proceed.

  7. I already filed my 2013 taxes with a local tax shop. But was not aware that I could claim something from my child attending college. I recieved a 1098 form? how do I amend my taxes to see if I will receive credit for tution paid. can I now amend my taxes with turbo tax.


    1. Hi Jackie,
      Yes, you can amend your taxes with TurboTax. You will have to go into the tax program and enter your same information, then press file by paper so the program will know you already filed. Then you will be able to go back into the return and amend it. If you already filed with TurboTax you would have been able to go back into your tax return and amend it by just adding the additional information from the 1098 form. Make sure your tax return was accepted by the IRS before you amend it. If it is rejected the person who prepared your taxes can add the 1098 info and resend it to the IRS. After you have entered your tax information into TurboTax, follow these instructions to amend:


      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  8. Hi….I got final K1’s last year but I don’t recall that TT asked me to input that they were final although when I switch to forms I see the box asking if it is a final. How do I correct my 2012 return and can I just delete the K1’s that TT brought forward into my 2013 return?


    1. Hi Susan,
      I’m not sure if you used TurboTax online or desktop. If you used the online version you can delete forms by:
      -opening your tax return
      -click on tools in the lower left corner
      -in the pop up window click “Delete a form”
      -in “Review Forms List” click delete next to form you want to delete.
      Here are more instructions for you https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894474-how-do-i-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online
      If you are on desktop, change to forms mode by clicking forms in the upper left hand corner, scroll to the form you want to delete, click on “Forms on the top tab” scroll down to “Remove K-1″ and click there.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  9. Just doing our 2013 taxes, we found a huge error in our 2012 tax return. We double entered a right off on property. We need to amend the taxes and send a sizable check to both Federal and State. We are sending them with a letter to explain what happened. Can we do this through a 1040x???

  10. What do I need to include when filing an amendment to my taxes? The 1040X for federal along with the schedule C and SE and for state (CA) the 540X, schedule C a copy of the 1040X but I can’t seem to figure out what else. Do I need to include the 1099-misc that I received which is the reason for the amendment to both federal and state? Thanks.

  11. Hi, Thanks for your help. I have files my 2013 taxes and already received both Federal and State refunds. My wife’s employer made a small error on her W-2 and I received a small unexpected 1099-Misc. I went through TurboTax’s amendment process and see I owe the IRS $6 and the state of Georgia $1. Should I both filing the amended forms for such a small amount?

    1. Sorry for the typos. That should read: Hi, Thanks for your help. I have filed my 2013 taxes and already received both Federal and State refunds. Since filing we learned my wife’s employer made a small error on her W-2; also, I received a small unexpected 1099-Misc. I went through TurboTax’s amendment process and see I owe the IRS $6 and the state of Georgia $1 (net of the refunds). Should I bother filing the amendments for such small amounts?

  12. I need to amend my 2012 return. I only got a child tax credit for one of my sons. What line does the credit go on? I think I got everything right but just want to make sure. Also do I file any other schedules with the 1040X form. I don’t think so because it’s a pretty straight forward adjustment both of my sons have their SS#s and I’m taking the standard 1000 dollar tax credit for each of my kids. Thanks in advance for any help given.

  13. I need to amend my 2012 tax returns. But I did not e-file my taxes last year, I printed them from Turbo tax and mailed them in. Turbo Tax is telling me I cannot amend since I haven’t e-filed.

  14. I efiled my taxes and they were accepted by the IRS for a refund of roughly $2000. Then I realized I had printed the wrong W-2 and was using 2012 numbers instead of my 2013 W-2. As a result, I had to file an amended return, which I also did through turbo-tax. I now owe $350. I mailed the 1040x as instructed along with a check for payment, but how do I go about reimbursing the government the $2000 from my original erroneous return?

  15. I e-filed my 2013 taxes but want to change my status from married/filing separately to head of house hold. Should I wait for the original refund to come in or should I file 1040X right away.

    1. Hi Bill,
      Do not amend your tax return until you find out if it’s accepted or rejected by the IRS. If it’s rejected you can just fix it/change it. If it’s accepted then you would amend it.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

      1. It’s being accepted and processed according the IRS web site. When will the 1040X be in the turbo tax program so I can complete the form and mail in the amended return?

  16. I put down the child’s birthdate incorrectly, just the day is off. I assumed that I need to file an amended return, but there is no where on the form to add the birthdate, just the year. What do I need to do?

    1. Hi Deanna,
      You should wait and see if your tax return is accepted or rejected. If it’s rejected you can just fix your tax return.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  17. I filed Jan 28th, accepted by irs. Cleared 4883c feb18. got tax advocate mid march. Heard from TA mid april. nothing more till today. TA left message saying IRS deleted my return by accident. Now what?

    1. Hi David,
      So sorry that happened to you. You will most likely have to send another copy via mail, because you will not be able to efile it again if they already accepted it. If you have a PDF copy saved you can print it out and mail it. If not, you can go into your TurboTax account and access your tax return and print it out. Follow these instructions


      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  18. There mus tbe others with my problem of getting to the final message “No signature form is required since you signed your form electronically.”
    BUT IT DID NOT GO THROUGH !! Is this a systemic problem of TurboTax? Or did Iget scammed? Or ???????

    1. Hi,
      Sorry you are having problems. It would be better if you call 1.800.4.intuit to speak with a live tax agent about your issue.
      Thank you,

      1. How can I amend my tax return the guy that done them he messed them up an I was told I needed to amend them and I don’t no how to go about doing that

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s