Who Can I Claim As a Dependent?


The age-old question, “Who can I claim as my dependent?”, has remained a confusing topic for many taxpayers and an area where tax deductions are often missed or misstated on tax returns.

Diverse generations

Did you know, you may be able to claim your couch potato friend as a dependent?  Did you realize that support of your struggling aunt who didn’t live with you may qualify you for the dependency deduction?  Don’t feel bad, you would be surprised how many people don’t understand the dependency tax laws.

The bottom line is a dependent must be your “qualifying child” or “qualifying relative” and meet specific tests in order for you to claim them.

There are 5 test that will qualify a child as a dependent as follows:

  • Relationship – Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these(grand or nephew).
  • Residence – Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age – Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support – Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support – The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

There are 4 tests that will qualify a relative as a dependent as follows:

  • They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child”.
  • Gross Income – Dependent earns less than $3,700 TY 2011 and $3,650 TY 2010.
  • Total Support – You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship – The person must live with you all year as a member of your household or be one of the relatives that doesn’t have to live with you see IRS Publication 501 for a list of qualifying relatives.

Many taxpayers are surprised to find they may be able to claim a boyfriend, girlfriend, domestic partner, or friend as a qualifying relative if:

  • They are a member of your household the entire year.
  • The relationship between you and the dependent does not violate the law (you can’t still be married to someone else.  Also check your individual state law.  Some states do not allow you to claim a boyfriend or girlfriend as a dependent even if your relationship doesn’t violate the law).
  • You meet all the other criteria for “qualifying relatives” (gross income and support).

Here are  some common questions from our users that we answered:

Question:  My 26 year old is living with me.  He works and has made more than $3,600.  Can I claim him as a dependent?

Answer:  No, because your child would not meet the age test, which says your “qualifying child” must be under age 19 or 24 if a full-time student for a least 5 months out of the year.  He may be considered a “qualifying relative”, but his income must be less than $3,700 for 2011 and $3,650 for 2010.

Question:  I start work in September of this year and had my baby in March.  Can I claim my baby as a dependent on my taxes?

Answer:  Yes, even if you have a baby on December 31, you can claim them as a dependent on your taxes.

Question:  My boyfriend fully supports me.  We live with his mother, but we pay for our full support including rent.  His mother wants to claim us as dependents.  Who can claim the deduction?

Answer:  As long as your boyfriend is not married (be sure to check your individual state law regarding claiming a boyfriend or girlfriend some states don’t comply with the federal law), supplies over half of your support, and you lived with him the entire year, you did not earn more than $3,650 TY 2010 and $3,700 TY 2011, you would qualify as his dependent.  His mother could not claim you since she did not provide more than half of the support.

Question:  My spouse has not worked all year except for a month, can I claim him as a dependent?

Answer:  You cannot claim a spouse as a dependent.  If you file married filing jointly, you will get a personal exemption of $3,650 for TY 2010 and $3,700 for TY 2011 for each of you.

Now that you are armed with more knowledge about dependent tax laws, you may want to reconsider kicking out your free-loading friend.  They may help you get a larger refund.

For more information see our Who Counts as Your Dependent or Can I Claim My Girlfriend As a Dependent blogs.

Comments (703) Leave your comment

  1. My sister is 31 and my god sister is 18 and they both been living with me and am the only working can i file both of them as a dependant

  2. My mother is 61 and on disability (has been for years now). I had twins 20 months ago and she moved in to help watch them while my husband and i work. Besides her medicaid she only makes $742.00 a month. That does not cover much at all:) Am I able to claim her as a dependent on my taxes? I pay for her transportation, room and board, meals, utilities ect….
    thanks in advance!

    1. Hi Leia,
      If her $742 per month is taxable income like from a retirement you could not as it does not meet the income test, which says a “qualifying relative” must make under $3,950 a year. If it is not taxable income and you provide over half of her support then you may be able to claim her. TurboTax will guide you through the necessary questions and give you the deduction if you are eligible.
      Thank you,
      Lisa Greene-Lewis

  3. My live in boyfriend for two years has not worked all year and lived with me for 13 months. He finally starting claiming unemploymnet in April for himself. He paid me only 3600.00 for the whole year. Can I claim him?

  4. According to my divorce papers,my ex can claim both of our children if the deduction does not benefit me. I just got married in Nov 14. I do not work. Can we claim my child based on my husband’s income and the deduction benefittng us?

  5. in this man nurse and he is 65 yrs of age and receive payment for mhmr.he is unable to care for himself.I have been supporting him.and being his home nurse for 12 months can I carry him as a dependant?

  6. Me and my boyfriend have lived together for about 4 years I have a son and we have a daughter together can he claim me and my son who I have physical custody of and has lived with us the whole year also if I’m unemployed and just go to school or can he only claim our daughter

  7. My mom has a 401K and wants to take some out to help me pay for college. I am 31 and struggling but make too much for her to claim me… How would we file our taxes if she took the money out of her 401K?

    I am trying to start college but am short $10,000.

    My mom and brother did this a few years ago, but we can’t remember how they were both able to file taxes. Can you please help me?

  8. Lisa, My son was on my 2014 Health care, I received my 1095A from healthcare. My son will file his own income tax for 2014. what do I need to do about the 1095A. they have him listed on the healthcare as a dependant

  9. If my boyfriend lives with me can I claim him as dependent if I’ve supported him all year and he has not had a job? Also how much do you get back for 1 child ?

  10. HI Lisa… A quick question.We claim our son on our taxes and he is in school and works fulltime.Since we don’t qualify for the EIC can he receive the EIC even if we claim him?

  11. Hi I’m Tyhree. I’ve been working two different jobs for about 4 months Can I claim my 11 month old nephew whom I’ve helped take care of. His mother isnt employed so no one is claiming him?

  12. Can my bf claim me as a dependant even if i filed my own i meet all the requiremts for him to claim me because i didnt make nothing pretty much

  13. I claimed my neice last year cause I took care of her but her mother took her back and im not claiming her will I get in trouble with irs??

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s