A message to our customers
A message to our customers:
At TurboTax, we’re all about making it easy to get the biggest refund possible. We take that promise very seriously.
We’ve recently discovered that an inaccuracy in TurboTax caused a small number of customers (less than 1 percent) to miss a dependent exemption and related education credits that they were eligible to claim.
We immediately fixed the problem and are communicating directly with those affected by this issue.
You can read the information below to determine if this issue affects you. If so, there are simple steps you can take to claim these tax benefits and get your full refund. We are also offering our Ask a Tax Expert service if you need additional help.
We regret any inconvenience this may cause.
Step 1: Determine if this situation affects you:
This situation affects you only if you meet all of the following criteria:
1. Qualify for the Earned Income Credit AND
2. Have a dependent between the ages of 18 and 24 who was a full time student AND
3. Neither you nor your dependent lived with anyone else
If you do not meet ALL of the conditions above, you do not need to take any further action.
Step 2: For those who meet all of the above conditions, verify or amend your return:
If you have not yet filed your return:
1. Open your tax return in TurboTax.
2. Click the Personal Info tab.
3. Click Continue on the Personal Info screen.
4. Scroll down to About Your Dependents and click Edit.
5. Click Edit for each dependent and verify the Dependent Type is correct. Then click Done.
If you have already filed your return:
You will need to amend your return in TurboTax. Please go to: http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/deductions-and-credits/deductions-and-credits/7892.html for more details.